La Vita e Bella!!

Thursday, February 10, 2005

A Box of Chocolates


A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me a box of chocolates while we were at work. As I looked down, I saw a small, pink, oval shaped box with the words “For you” on it. After thanking my friend for this wonderful gift, I took another glance at this box. I smiled, for I remember the words:

“Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re going to get.”

Never had I found these words to be more true than today. It seems impossible to choose one chocolate over another, when you have dozens of others that look equally great! Can’t this be said about life too? Don’t we all have our own “chocolates” to choose from? I believe so. The chocolates in our lives are those countless decisions we have to make each day. Decisions are essential to us, for they shape the way we live. However, it seems impossible to always choose the right “chocolate.” Lately I feel like I’m in a French chocolaterie, surrounded by countless of “chocolates”/decisions. I can’t seem to know which one I should chose next. Maybe it is due to my inexperience in life. However I often wonder, should I continue my career so that I can help my family out more? Should I stop going to school, even though I’m so close to finishing, and just live a simpler happy life? Should I leave now to a distant place where I can help others in greater need? Or should I consider marriage and get through life’s hardest decisions with that soul mate? These decisions are all indeed complicated. Sometimes what you want the most turns out to be something you didn’t expect. For example, have you ever tasted a chocolate that was so rich and creamy on the outside, yet on the inside was just plain and dull? This is something I fear of; not eating bad chocolates, but making wrong decisions. Unlike sour chocolates, decisions can’t be tossed out. The decisions we make now will live on with us for the rest of our lives. Therefore, as I sit by my window today I wonder…. I wonder what new “chocolate” awaits me today…. I wonder what new decision I’ll have to ponder upon today…And most importantly, I wonder if I chose the right “chocolate” not only today, but everyday.