La Vita e Bella!!

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A Beautiful Mind; A Child's



This weekend was indeed beautiful. On Sunday everything seemed right; the sun was bright, the breeze was perfect and birds were once again singing outside. I decided it was a perfect day for a trip to the zoo. So, I took Leilani. At only 3 years old, Leilani is one of the most beautiful toddlers I have ever seen. Her ruby red locks, rosy pale skin, and hazel eyes are only the physical characteristics that highlight her shy beauty. What truly amazes me is her beautiful capacity of thinking, learning, and even speaking. During our visit to the zoo, I felt my maternal instincts kick in. I wasn’t concerned for myself; I was only concerned for Leilani. If she wanted to go see the giraffes, I would find the giraffes and take her there. If she wanted to pet the horses, I would go towards the horses. If she wanted something to drink, I would walk the extra mile to fulfill her thirst. And let’s not forget the countless visits to the one place we stopped the most: the restroom. For those of us that don’t really know it, having a child is really difficult. Now I understand why some parents never go out as much after they have children. Despite all of that, I was truly amazed with Leilani’s view of the world. This child was not only interested in seeing the giraffes, horses, and elephants; she was curious of why there were so many types of animals. Leilani remembered that not only do tigers have stripes, but zebras do as well. She would remember that there were more than a single species of monkeys, and she would ask why this was so. Her parents, being the great parents that they are, have taught her well. When I would ask her why she thought there were so many types of animals, she would simply respond, “Because God wanted us to have more animals to play with.” The mind of a child can retain so much information during their first 5 years. It is said that they can even learn dozens of languages. What’s important is that every child is brought up well, so that they can use their mind wisely. Parenthood is probably the most difficult job adults have to face. However, after experiencing a weekend at the zoo with Leilani, I am happy to say that the benefits of teaching children, can result into true lifetime blessings. I can’t wait to have children of my own, in the very very distant future, so that I can also share the experience of seeing a child use their beautiful mind, in full force!