La Vita e Bella!!

Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Notebook

No matter how many times I watch The Notebook, I always cry. Why? Is it just because it's another romantic story with another sad ending? No. It's much more than that. When I watch this movie, I do feel that there are some people who love unconditionally; "love till death do us part". I know that the characters are make believe, and yes it's another romantic movie. But this movie is much more than just a movie. It reminds us that love is strong; so strong it can overcome even the hardest obstacles in life. In this movie, Noah is seen as the perfect example of this unconditional love. He grows old with his wife Allie; the only girl in his life who has held the key to his heart. Despite the common struggles in life, such as sickness and old age, he stays by her side, never leaving her. His only hope is that someday the love they shared together, that was taken by Alzheimers, returns once again to open the happiness locked away in his heart. Each day he waits for her to remember at least something, so that he can at least hold her in his arms again. His love for her is so strong, so unconditionall, that he wishes he could give anything to have her remember even his name. This story makes me sad because I think of the thousands of people who are deprived of loving. For some, the case of Alzheimers has shattered the beautiful memories of earlier times. For others, the experience of losing someone they have loved has scared their hearts. And there are others that have never experienced love at all. Whatever your case is, always remember that love is stronger than anything else. When you find it, don't ever let go of it. And by this I mean any kind of love. It can be an unconditional love of your family, yourself, your friends! What life has taught us is that we have only existed thanks to the power of love. If all of us would follow the paths of love, maybe there wouldn't be so many hate in this world. Therefore as I sit in bed tonight, looking out the stars, I think about the last scene in The Notebook, where Noah tells Allie, "I'll be seeing you." I hope that soon I will also be seeing that special person in my life whom I too will love unconditionally!

One of my favorite scences. "If you're a bird, I'm a bird!"